Wayne State University

Aim Higher

  • Need help? Schedule an appointment
  • Apply Now
  • Wayne Direct

Reverse Transfer Agreement

What is Reverse Transfer?

Reverse transfer is for students who have transferred from a two-year community college to Wayne State before earning their associate's degree.  Credits completed at Wayne State are transferred back to your community college and  used to satisfy the degree requirements for your associate's degree.  This is much like how your credit transferred from your community college to Wayne State, just in reverse.  Your community college will evaluate your Wayne State work and determine if credits taken at WSU will fulfill requirements for your associate's degree.

       Participating Community Colleges

Why an Associate's Degree?

An associate's degree is an important milestone in your education as well as a valuable credential to have on your resume.  Employers value the associate's degree as evidence of your commitment to expanding your knowledge and achieving your educational goals.  The associate's degree can make a difference in your long-term success in several ways:

If you transferred to Wayne State from a community college without completing all the requirements for your associate's degree it  may be possible to complete the credits you need  using Wayne State courses by reverse transferring your WSU credits  to your community college.


How does this work?

To facilitate this for our students, Wayne State has signed formal agreements with the participating community college. Through these agreements, we will periodically evaluate your record and if you have met certain requirements ask your permission to send your WSU transcript to your community college, specifically for reverse transfer purposes. 

Or, you can fill out this Reverse Transfer Transcript Request form and return it to us.

Then, once your community college reviews your transcript, if you have earned a degree, just have an updated community college transcript sent to WSU.

You can have your community college transcript mailed to this address:

Wayne State University
P.O. Box 02759
Detroit, MI  48202-0759


What if you've attended a community college that Wayne State has not signed an agreement with? 


We are working with other community colleges to formalize agreements, but until then, there is no reason why reverse transfer can't be an option for you as well!  All you need to do is periodically request that Wayne State send your transcript back to your community college.  In order to facilitate the process, you may wish to contact the office responsible for evaluating credit at your community college (typically the admissions or registrar's office) and let them know you are sending your transcript back and would like it evaluated for reverse transfer.  How to send a WSU Transcript.



Am I guaranteed a degree from my community college? No. Sending your Wayne State transcript back to your community college does not guarantee the awarding of your associate's degree.  The courses you take at Wayne State will be evaluated by your community college and the determination of any degree requirements are the discretion of your community college. 

Can I participate in my community college's commencement ceremony? Most likely, yes.  But you need to contact the community college for information on how to participate.  Be sure to let them know that you are taking advantage of reverse transfer. 

Will I have to apply for graduation at my community college? Most community colleges do require this, yes.